Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Dealing with Difficult Authorities – Numbers 11

 “Soon the people began to complain about their hardship, and the Lord heard everything they said. Then the Lord’s anger blazed against them, and HE sent a fire to rage among them, and HE destroyed some of the people in the outskirts of the camp.Then the people screamed to Moses for help, and when he prayed to the Lord, the fire stopped…. Then the foreign rabble who were traveling with the Israelites began to crave the good things of Egypt. And the people of Israel also began to complain. “Oh, for some meat!” they exclaimed. “We remember the fish we used to eat for free in Egypt. And we had all the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions, and garlic we wanted. But now our appetites are gone. All we ever see is this manna!”…. 10 Moses heard all the families standing in the doorways of their tents whining, and THE LORD became extremely angry. Moses was also very aggravated. 11 And Moses said to THE LORD, “Why are YOU treating me, YOUR servant, so harshly? Have mercy on me! What did I do to deserve the burden of all these people? 12 Did I give birth to them? Did I bring them into the world? Why did YOU tell me to carry them in my arms like a mother carries a nursing baby? How can I carry them to the land YOU swore to give their ancestors? 13 Where am I supposed to get meat for all these people? They keep whining to me, saying, ‘Give us meat to eat!’ 14 I can’t carry all these people by myself! The load is far too heavy! 15 If this is how YOU intend to treat me, just go ahead and kill me. Do me a favor and spare me this misery!”


As a testimony of His great love and His mercy for me, and for His glory I testify and confess to you that in one occasion where I disobediently started to speak in a harsh way of a gift that I had been given by someone in authority (I felt the gift had been pushed in, not by a heartfelt “thank you”), as I was speaking and frying something, a big splash burned one of my fingers, and I caught that was The Lord telling me “to hush my mouth” but seems like I needed another “Holy touch” because I continued talking about the gift. So, God touched me again, a bigger burn! Then I heard Him really cleared, and I ended the conversation about it, immediately! Praise God, for I really do not wanted to know how far more He could have gotten if I wouldn’t stopped.

I can confidently say that the majority of us in our lives have had to deal with a “boss”, or a person that is in authority over us in some capacity.  I can confidently also say that most likely at least one time we have disagreed with a decision they made, because in our humanity, created to rule, sometimes we do not like to be “ruled” and we choose to disagree.

It’s important to realize that GOD who created all is who gives authority to those in charge, and so clear is been established, Paul (remember under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit) writes in Romans 13:1-2 - “Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and they will be punished.”

And truly when we complaint about those in charge we are complaining against God who placed them in that position; and the only true and acceptable thing for us to do is pray for those in authority. Paul encouraging Timothy said: “I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity.[1]

In other words, in regards to those in leadership since we already understand that they are serving God, our duty is to pray, respect and honor them, because doing that we’ll be obeying our heavenly Father said so, thru His servant Paul.[2]

This principle of submitting to authority had been previously established back in the Old Testament, and what we’ll see here is what happened to those who instead of submitting to the authority placed by God, and instead of praying for that leader, complaint about him, is like we are planting “rumor weeds” and it will spread just like weeds do. So, beware! God cannot be mocked[3]; we can’t hide from HIM, EVERYTHING we do, HE SEES, and we will be accountable to Him, for everything we say and do.[4]
If that authority you disagree with is doing something you think is not fair, we’ve been called to pray for them, so PRAY for God Himself to give you understanding about it; for Him to deal with you, with that person; and for Him to transform or remove you and or the authority off from its place. God who sees it all, will speak to you.

The people Moses was leading was already complaining against him, and God dealt with them as a whole but when Moses sister was the one who complaint and planted that “rumor weed” God dealt with her, immediately! And who was listening to her, immediately, had to be taught that what she was doing was wrong and would bring punishment, not in the long future but immediately! So, she developed leprosy. And as a testimony of God’s mercy and power, instead of living it for long time with her, to show REALLY who is in charge, He decided to end the leprosy in only seven days, and so it was.

So for you advantage, next time, you have a disagreement with someone in authority, before you open your mouth to speak, PRAY!!! I pray you do not have to get burnt twice, like me, to hear The Lord.  If you’re discouraged about a “wrong” doing of one of your leaders, get a prayer partner to help you pray for that situation, you do not have to repeat the details of it, and just pray!!! I pray The Lord continue to lead you His way, and for your communion with Him, to grow as you develop your devotional Bible study and prayer, for the glory of God I pray, in JESUS name, AMEN!!!









[1] 1st Timothy 2:2
[2] Romans 13:6b-7
[3] Galatians 6:7
[4] Hebrews 4:13

No comments: