Sunday, December 27, 2015

Seven types of “churches” – Revelation 2-3

Normally the noun church can be used to refer to a building were people worship the LORD.  Depending on the context of the sentence church can be used to refer to the group of people who gather in that place called church.  Another way to use “church” is to refer to an individual who carries on the message of God.  As individuals who serve and live for God, we represent the church (presence of God), and wherever HE leads us, HIS presence is within us.

But as an individual church, we can reflect one or more of the characters and/or behaviors that some of these seven churches in the book of Revelations had.  The, “Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what HE is saying to the churches”[1] statement repeated seven times, can’t be taken lightly for its God Himself who’s speaking, and there’s a personal message from God for each one of these seven types of churches.   As you read about them, search yourself and choose which ever reflects your character the most, and doing this, God’s message for you will be revealed.
I have to say, this is NOT an easy message for some who might still have issues that aren’t pleasing to God. BUT, it’s God’s Warning for us to deal with those attitudes and issues NOW, before HE comes.     So, buckle up!
 


Ephesus
·   You are a hard worker
·   Have a patient endurance.
·   You don’t tolerate evil people.
·   You have examined the claims of those who say they are apostles but are not discovering they are liars.
·   You have patiently suffered for ME without quitting.
 
1)   Because you don’t love me or each other as you did at first, you have fallen!
2)   Turn back to ME and do the works you did at first.
3)   If you don’t repent, I will come and remove your lampstand (meaning my spirit/guidance/light)
 
Smyrna
 
·   I know about your suffering and your poverty
·    I know the blasphemy of those opposing you.
 
 
1)   Don’t be afraid of what you are about to suffer.
2)   The devil will throw some of you into prison to test you.
3)   You will suffer for some days.
4)  But IF you remain faithful even when facing death, I will give you the crown of life.
 
Pergamum
·   You live in a place where Satan has his throne, yet you have remained loyal to ME.
·   You refused to deny ME
·   You also tolerate some among you whose teaching is about how to trip up the people of God.
·   And others who taught to sin by eating food offered to idols and by committing sexual sin.
 
 
1)   Repent of your sin, or I will come to you
Thyatira
·   I have seen your love, your faith, your service, and your patient endurance.
·   I can see your constant improvement in all these things.
·   You’ve allowed the Jezebel spirit to lead MY servants astray by teaching others to commit sexual sin and to eat food offered to idols.
 
 
1)  I’ve given them time to repent, but they  do not want to turn away from their immorality, therefore,
2)   I will throw them on a bed of suffering
3)   Whoever commits adultery with them will suffer greatly unless they repent and turn away from their evil deeds.
4)   I will strike their children dead.
5)   You who have not followed this false teaching, you hold tightly to what you have until I come.
6)   To all who are victorious, who obey ME to the very end, to them I will give authority over all the nations. They will rule the nations with an iron rod and smash them like clay pots. They will have the same authority I received from my Father, and I will also give them the morning star! (meaning HE will impart to them HIS own glory and a share in his own royal dominion)
 
Sardis
 
·   You have a reputation for being alive—but you are dead; your actions do not meet the requirements of my God.
 
1)   Wake up!
2)   Strengthen what little remains, for even what is left is almost dead.
3)   Go back to what you heard and believed at first; hold to it firmly.
4)   Repent and turn to ME again.
5)  If you don’t wake up, I will come to you suddenly, as unexpected as a thief.
 
Philadelphia
·   You have little strength, yet
·   You obeyed MY word and
·   Did not deny ME
·   You have obeyed MY command to persevere.
 
 
1)   I know all the things you do, and I have opened a door for you that no one can close.
2)   Look, I will force those who belong to Satan’s synagogueThey will acknowledge that you are the ones I love.
3)   I will protect you from the great time of testing that will come upon the whole world to test those who belong to this world.
4)   Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take away your crown.
5)   All who are victorious will become pillars in the Temple of my GOD, and they will never have to leave it.
6)   I will write on them the name of my GOD, and they will be citizens in the city of my God
7)   I will also write on them MY new name.
 
Laodicea
·   You are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold
·   You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’
·   You don’t realize it but you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.
 
1)   I will spit you out of my mouth!
2)   I advise you to buy gold from me[1]—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from ME so you will not be shamed by your nakedness and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see.
3)   I correct and discipline everyone I love. So be diligent and turn from your indifference.
4)   IF you hear MY voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.
5)  Look! I stand at the door and knock.
6)   Those who are victorious will sit with ME on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with MY Father on HIS throne.
 



[1] Revelations 2:7,11,17,29;3:6,13,22
[2] Buy in the sense of acquiring, but not things that you can purchase with money, wisdom, and understanding. Prov.23:23, Isaiah  55:1

No comments: